Are you checking in to UTS Housing soon? Don’t know what to pack or how to actually get here? No need to stress – we’ve all been there, so we’ve compiled six steps to make your check-in easy. Here’s how to…
Head to reception in the Yura Mudang building (level two of building six) to check in on the day (July 21) between 8am and 6pm.
Getting here via train:
- Disembark the train at Central Station. Exit through the south concourse (walking towards George St). Pass through Henry Deane Plaza and continue through the tunnel until it opens up onto the Goods Line. Enter the doors of Yura Mudang, to your left after the escalators.
Getting here via car:
- Drive to 702-30 Harris St and enter through the loading dock marked on your left, immediately after the ABC building.
Getting here from the airport:
- Catch a taxi and follow the directions for driving above.
- Catch a train on the Airport line, disembark at Central Station and follow the direction for train travel above.
If you’re moving into Gumal Ngurang or another residence nearby, you can also check in there between 9am and 2pm.
Get Checked In
Be sure to bring official ID (such as a driver’s licence or passport), your licence agreement, bank details and contact details, to the check-in desk. You don’t need to bring your luggage to the desk with you.
Things you will need to pack include:
- Clothes (check the local weather first)
- Basic bathroom essentials (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.)
- Important documents (ID, licence agreement, etc.)
- Mobile phone
- Laptop and charger
- A few coat hangers
- Linen – king single size (or purchase a linen pack at reception)
If you’re arriving from overseas, you might also want to bring:
- Outlet power adaptor
- Local currency
Check the Free Store in the Yura Mudang building (located opposite the toilets in the mail corridor) upon arrival to grab free second-hand items for your new room.
Your Resident Networkers (RNs) will also arrange group shopping trips to visit your closest shopping centre where you can buy essentials you might have forgotten.
Once you’ve checked in you can go straight to your room. There will be shuttle buses running regularly between the residences on check-in day to transport you, your luggage and your family members if needed.
The addresses of each residence are:
Building 6, Level 2
702-30 Harris St, Ultimo, 2007
The Quadrant Building
161 Broadway St, Broadway, 2007
23-27 Mountain St, Ultimo, 2007
12 Boundary St, Darlington, 2008
28 Wattle Lane, Ultimo, 2007
After you’ve arrived at your room, complete your room inventory and condition report. This can be done online.
UTS Orientation runs from the 24th to the 28th of July and is the perfect opportunity to learn about how UTS works – register here. Sign up for as many information sessions as you like – they’re always helpful and good for meeting other new students.
You can access your class timetable online at myTimetable to see the time and location of your classes.
Once you’ve enrolled in classes, register here to get your student ID card.
Peer Networkers (students dressed in orange) roam around campus during Orientation and are there to answer your questions and generally help out. Don’t be afraid to say hello!
If you’re an international student, you can find more information here.
Maps of the UTS campus are online here.
and maps of the UTS Housing residences are always in the handbook.
UTS is conveniently located in the centre of Sydney and right next to a range of shops, cafes and public transport hubs. Walking is a great way to see the city, but public transport is useful for longer trips.
The Opal system is used to pay for public transport in Sydney, so you’ll need an Opal card. If you’re a domestic student you might be eligible for a Concession Opal card (giving you half price travel) – follow the steps here to apply. Otherwise, you can get one online, from a newsagency or a convenience store. Simply top it up and tap on before riding.
Buses, trains, ferries and the light rail are the most common ways to get around Sydney. Go to the Transport Trip Planner to plan your journey.
The best way to stay up to date is online!
- Like UTS Housing on Facebook for events, updates and news about what’s going on around the residences.
- Follow @utshousing on Instagram and use the hashtag #utshousing to have your pictures featured.
- Download the official UTS Housing mobile app on the App Store or the Google Play store for quick access to calendars and forms.
- Catch up on stories from other residents, events and all things new on the UTS Housing blog.
- Check your UTS student email for regular newsletters with important info from the UTS Housing Service Team.
Upon check in you’ll receive a welcome pack and a copy of the official handbook, which contains everything you need to know about living at UTS Housing. Make sure you read it!
Compulsory information sessions are also run regularly during the check-in period. Check out the UTS Housing Facebook’s events page to find a session at a time that suits you.
Still have questions? Email email@example.com anytime, or head to the front desk in your residence for more help.