The UTS Housing Multicultural Learning Community (MLC) is one of the living and learning communities at UTS Housing. Established to celebrate the cultural diversity of our residential community and the respectful and inclusive attitude of our residents, MLC launches in 2016.
The community offers opportunities for the development of intercultural communication skills in English language, foreign languages and academic literacy. In essence it is a welcoming and supportive multicultural community!
The community has the following aims:
- For residents to develop in understanding of their own and others’ beliefs, ideas, and identities
- Foster a welcoming environment for a diverse cohort of students and to create community of respect and support for one each other
- Allow our potential in academic and personal growth to be realised
To coincide with various national celebrations of our residential community we are offering the following cultural events for the Autumn Semester 2016. All events allow for the natural intercultural interaction and involve the sharing of culture, food language and a healthy exchange of ideas and worldviews
- Indigenous Australia Culture Presentation (Wednesday 16th March at 5pm Theatre level 8)
- Iranian Culture Night (Monday 14thMarch at 5pm Theatre level 8)
- QingMing Festival – Chinese Culture Night – (Monday April 4th)
- Japanese Culture Night (Monday 2nd May )
- Multicultural Film Festival (June 1st to 3rd)
- Sweden 6th June Swedish Culture Night (Monday 6th June)
- Exchange Global Partners Information session (TBA)
Classes: Language and Literacy Development in a Multicultural Environment
Making the most of your experience living and studying at UTS requires sound communicative skills. These multicultural group discussions are designed to welcome many of our international students and support them in their living and learning environment. The main focus is on language and literacy development within themes on multiculturalism and diversity.
- Conversation Class: Every Friday morning at 11am in the U:learn centre
Starting Friday March 18th at 11am with an excursion to the Art Gallery of NSW
- Writing Class (also includes IELTS preparation): Every Thursday afternoon at 2pm in the U:learn centre
- Language exchange and foreign language classes: would you like to learn or practice a foreign language? This is the place to find speaking practice partners and introductory classes
- Boules (France) and Bocce (Italy): the objective is to throw or roll heavy balls as close as possible to a small target ball.
- Kho Kho and Carrom (South Asia) is a “strike and pocket” table game of Eastern origin similar to billiards and table shuffleboard
- Kabaddi (India) is a contact sport that originated in Ancient India.
For more information about UTS Housing MCL, contact: Andrew Redgrave: email@example.com
Interact with other people within this community by joining the Facebook group today! Click here to join the group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/737718536250821/)